I am the mom of a five year old. I can remember the day he was born vividly, but most of the last five years are a blur. Thank goodness for my online scrapbook, I can go back and see what we have been up to. Thursday I worked from home and made two birthday cakes, one for school on Friday and one for the party. He told me what he wanted for both of them and I made them happen.
For school he wanted rainbow on the inside and chocolate on the outside. Well that was easy!

Mary said the kids enjoyed it and Avery especially. He was covered in frosting apparently!
Today, 11-16-2013 was all about Baylor. Last night he was a bit worried about turning five. He wondered if I was still going to like him if he was not four (um, of course with a big hug and kiss). I had been making a big deal of everything on Friday being the last time he would do that at four. His last day of preschool as a four year old. We had his last ice cream at Oakgrove as a four year old (fuzzy because I forgot about low lighting and no flash)
His last bath as a four year old. He has been saying for a while now all kinds of things would happen when he become a man, like sleeping in his own room, wiping your butt, swimming underwater, and a few others. When pressed for when he would be a man he said that was at five. I think he was not realizing that five was a pretty close age to four and would happen sooner than he was planning. I think he was a bit tired also which made things a bit more emotional. But we had a nice sleep cuddling till Eddy woke us up for breakfast. Just a small, foggy sunrise this day.
We had a lazy morning with not much getting ready to do. Gloria had to work from six to 10 so we had a usual Saturday morning. He requested waffles for breakfast and ate them down stairs watching TV. Since the party was at a bowling alley I did not have to get ready for anything. Grandma and Buddy came around 11:30 so they could drive down with us. And Baylor was able to open some gifts which is always super fun!
Lots of coloring books and stickers.
A Colorado T-shirt and a cardinal bird feeder.
And a photo op. The dog just sniffed his ear and he was giggling!
I found a bowling alley in Gettysburg that would work as a fairly middle point for the birthday party for the families we were inviting. It is a older place and small which was nice for being able to keep track of everyone. We had four lanes of duck pin bowling which I had never done before. The pins were small and the balls were small and no holes. I did not do anything for the party or decorate which for me the party planner, it was a bit odd. But I was going with it. There was another party there and they had table cloths, balloons and looked like a party. It was all good!
Tara, Julie, and Lucas came from VA. But they live closer now so I am looking forward to more visits with them! All the boys stuck to the two bumper lanes and used the slides for the most part. Some times even with the slides the balls barely made it to the end of the lane. We did not keep score and they just bowled in whatever order and as many times as they wanted before resetting the pins with the reset button.
Amy, Julie and Cullen came from Chambersburg. Cullen turned five the end of September and just recently had his hair cut short. He was rocking the spikes! He became obsessed with the blue ball and this was just the beginning of it.
Baylor rode up with my parents and Mom said he fell asleep within 10 minutes of leaving the house. He was cuddly and sad for about the first 15 minutes of the party. I sat with him for a while and then Lori sat with him. He slowly came out of it and was interested in what his friends were doing and joined them.
The Browns came from next door. They were pulling out of their drive way as I was walking to the mailbox. That got me a bit worried because I was planning on leaving early so we would be first. But they said there were stopping for gas first but I hoofed it to the house to leave anyway. We did beat them too. They bowled in lane two and had a great time.
Right after a strike!
Heather, Brigid, and Connor live in Gettysburg and had been to the place before. Connor ended up loving it and not wanting to leave. They bowled in lane four, and sometimes three, with my parents.
Briggy was not very interested in bowling until the boys helped her out.
We had six kid guests and Baylor made seven. I am pretty sure just about everyone had a good time!
We got him to wear jeans which he usually shuns. But I think he is pretty darn cute in jeans! Tiny heiny and all!
I let him play the claw game (I really hate that money eater game) and he played one video game.
Sometimes he used the ramp and some times he did it free hand.
Baylor and Cullen had a good time bowling together especially with the coveted blue ball. I am surprised Cullen did not find a way to slip it out of the bowling alley he loved it so much.
After the Browns left the boys took over the two lanes and bowled side by side.
For his birthday cake Baylor's vision was chocolate on the inside and rainbow on the outside. Last year he requested rainbow on the inside and white on the outside. I found a bunch of images on Pinterest and let him show me what his rainbow vision was for the top of the cake. I think I nailed it.
I think he liked it and there was nothing left (ok, I ate the last piece and a half because I was not dragging them home but they were small pieces).
Of course our friends gifted him well! I was more happy with their presence but Baylor is five so he loved the presents.
We had the lanes until four and the kids bowled and we chatted until it was time to leave. I was surprised Baylor stayed awake on the drive home and I stopped for bread and milk. The full moon was rising on the way home and was a wonder to watch.
I had a roast in the crock pot and just had to make a salad and a veggie and dinner was served. My parents stayed for dinner and left after dark. Crazy for old people! When Mom was saying goodbye to Baylor, hard kid head cracked into older woman face and I thought Mom broke her jaw. I think what I heard was her teeth clapping together but she got dizzy for a bit and I had to steady her. Both were fine after a cuddle. Not long after they left and after going through all the gifts again, he crashed on the couch, the first time as a five year old. He is pretty amazing and I am pretty lucky to be his mom. I wonder what we will be up to this year?









No comments:
Post a Comment