Saturday, July 4, 2015

Saturday Road Trip

The Saturday forecast was for overcast skies and off and on rain.  I suggested a road trip to Chincoteague, VA as something to do for the day.  Gloria had never been and I have not been since I was in high school.  I had read the books Misty of Chincoteague
Novels by Marguerite Henry when I was a kid.  I am a girl, and lots of girls love horses at some point. It was a longer drive than I was anticipating but Baylor and I sat in the back.  He played on the tablet while I talked to Gloria.  We stopped at the Welcome center to find out where to see the ponies and we headed to Assateague Island to see the light house and hopefully to see some ponies.  We walked out to the light house and Gloria was nauseous just looking up at the top so Baylor and I did the walk together: all 175 steps to the top! It was a bit hot but we made it!  





Just keep stepping.  They only allow a certain number of people in at one time.  We passed a few people but not too many.  


We took breaks at the windows, enjoying the view of the ground getting further away from us as we climbed higher.  




Finally we were at the top!   

I yelled down to Gloria, she is the dark spot closest to the tress in the middle of the photo.  She said she could not even look up at us, it made her sick.  


There are ponies out there on the left side out by the second water inlet looking place down from the horizon.  They were the only ponies we saw and I know Baylor did not see them even with the binoculars they had up there.  



Hi Mama!! 


The ponies are out there.  Just super tiny.  


And then we worked out way down the stairs.  It was nice to be down at the bottom and it was fun to take Baylor up there. 



Then I made them go on a 1.6 mile hike.  The two of the complained the whole time.  It was hot, there were too many mosquitos, my legs hurt.  And the only wildlife we saw were the bugs, especially the mosquitoes.  






For me, it was about being with my family.  





We drove down to the beach and headed out as it was getting late in the day.  Gloria never stopped in town for me to pick up a magnet, my favorite souvenir.  She was headed directly to the NASA visitor's center on Wallops Island.  I think she was on a mission to stop there. It was a self guided center and we walked around checking things out.  Baylor does not like to stop and read so I followed him around so Gloria could take her time.  We took photos in the space suit of course.  




And we played with the air rocket plastic bottles.  All the kids loved them and the entire time you could hear the pop-whoosh of them flying up the cable as they released their air.  


Gloria watched Baylor when I went up to the roof to see the satellites.  I wonder if the aliens were sending any messages? 




They had a huge pile of plastic blocks with magnets in the corners.  They were fun building and destroying.  Another kid 'magnet' area. 



The place closed at 4:30 and we planned on stopping for dinner on the way home.  But Garmin took us back on some back roads where there were no places to stop.  And the Baylor fell asleep. And Ocean City was too packed and trafficy to stop.  So we headed to our place, in the rain,  and walked to Sammy's where I had seen kids eat free.  It is a typical Greek run diner and the food was really nice. They played straw soccer while we waited. We got Baylor spaghetti and while he said he was not hungry, he ate it all.  I ate my gyro too fast and Gloria had a chef's salad. 


 No one was up to walking a few blocks to the beach so we went back to our room.  Baylor and I played on the porch with our light sticks.  He was the King and the glow sticks were our gems made of pure starlight.   





We were out there for a long time and we could hear fireworks from one of the towns down the beach but while it was the 4th, Rehoboth was having their fireworks on Sunday.  Day two down, and while there was no beach time, it was good to be by the sea! 


No comments:

Post a Comment