Last Saturday we went to another farm and I took my coworker with me. She is from Easton, PA and works in our NJ office. We were actually on the phone together when the earthquake hit earlier this year. I felt it and then a few seconds later she felt it!! She has never carved a pumpkin in her 20 something years and I had to fix that when I found out. We made plans back in August and I was excited when she arrived! The orchard is about 15 minutes away and we were off soon after she arrived.
The first thing we did was ride the tractor wagon. Baylor loves them! We were driven around the pumpkin patch and got a lay of the land. Since it was a week before Halloween, the patch was pretty picked over but some hopeful signs were all the nice bright orange showing in the grass.
As everyone knows, you are supposed to keep your head and arms inside the ride at all times but how much fun is that!
Down there is the main store where the fork lift was working. Next to tractors, Baylor loves to watch fork lifts!
After the ride, the tractor is in the background, we found a wagon to take to the pumpkin patch. Baylor wanted to pull it and did really well until we found pumpkins and it got heavy.
We did not pick this guy but he was one with a nice cheese wheel shape.
They also have a play area there. We chose to go to the free one because the other side was $7.00 per adult and $5.00 per child. I would not benefit from that money so we just avoided it. Baylor was just as happy on the swing set and he made sure he tried everything.
Here comes the tractor again! I was surprised he did not ask to ride it again.
We all found a nice pumpkin to take home. We shopped at the orchard market where I bought cider, more apples, and a little digger he found with gum in it. The gum was tossed when he was not looking. Megan, Addy and some of their friends were there too and we played on another swing set for a bit.
It was chilly and we had been out for a while so we headed out to lunch and then home. Baylor fell asleep on the way home and napped for the first half of carving. I have tons of stencils for jacks and she picked one out. She started carving and got to gut her first pumpkin. I cleaned the seeds and made Cinnamon sugar pumpkin seeds for her to take home.
For her first jack she chose a medium hard face and did an awesome job on it. Not that I would expect anything less from a Penn State grad!
Baylor woke up and wanted to carve also. His idea of carving was stabbing the pumpkin with the carving tool, as you can see him in the background. My jacks all look like they met Jack the Ripper!
This is Zakiya's jack. Is it not awesome!!
Here are the two I made. I am an old pro at carving and really love doing it.
Baylor was very pleased with them also. He wants them lit when ever we can! We have some more to do with the pumpkins we brought home last week. Time is flying and I have some much to do at night I hope we get them done.
I love your pumpkins!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see B as Thomas! Our two boys sound like twins!
Can you resend your email?
Thanks!!!