Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

I am sure if I went through my day it would sound familiar to many people.  Thanksgiving is food, family, friends, and being thankful for all. So here was my day.

Baylor heard the food processor going and had to help make the bacon herb butter. 


Yes, I said bacon and butter!  I found the frozen herbs in the garden this morning and they were quite crispy in the frost but still had their flavor left. 


 I cut the bottom away from the breast and roast them separately now.  It works better to get done at the same time without drying out the white meat.  I also brine it for 24 hours beforehand.  The butter goes under the skin of the breast and thighs.  The breast starts upside down and after an hour gets flipped to skin side up.  Don't ask why, I just follow the recipe.


I love my wool pumpkins! Baylor becomes obsessed with blowing out the candles but he could not reach this one so it was safe. 


Baylor wanted to do a craft and I had some leaves and acorns cut out so Grandma and Baylor worked together to glue them to paper.  He likes to use the glue stick but does not really get the concept of gluing two things together.  Grandma helped him get the glue side down.


And then they peeled potatoes. Mom peeled and sliced and Baylor put them in the water.


I did not take any photos of the finished bird other than when it was being carved.  Baylor helped Buddy by watching. 


He was a good helper!  Dinner was the basics, mashed potatoes (which is all Baylor ate), gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, rolls, and jellied cranberry sauce.  We don't with Thanksgiving too much other than breaking down the turkey for roasting.  The Thatchers were not able to make because Anita is still recovering from her knee surgery. 


Baylor played outside twice today, did not nap and crashed on the couch around 6:00. He was a great helper for all us today and what I am most thankful for in my life.


Well, him and turkey.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great day. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
    Mark, Fred and Co.

    ReplyDelete