Saturday, March 16, 2013

Easter Prep

 
We actually did this last weekend, but I am only getting around to posting it now. In February I was looking through a Hearthsong catalog which featured their Easter items. One of them was a sugar egg, which lead to internet search on how to make sugar eggs.  Which lead to an email to Steph to see if she would be interested in sugar egg making and of course she was.  So we set the date.  Along the way she suggested we make Easter candy that day too: peanut butter eggs and coconut eggs.  Well, I certainly could not say no to that.  I had discovered a Brazilian candy while watching a cooking show and I made a batch of them to take along.  They are called Brigadeiros and are like truffles but made with sweetened condensed milk, butter and cocoa.  And then you roll them in sprinkles! 
 
 
On Saturday Steph, the kids, and I went to a local store a coworker told me about but neither of us had ever heard of.  It is a nut and candy shop and they were packed full of all of that.  I bought giant bags of candy coating disks (Wilbur brand to support the local brand), lots of sprinkles, a few things for Easter baskets, and some candy for the trip. We went to Steph's and made the sugar eggs because they have to dry overnight.  I am glad I bought the 25 lb bag of sugar because we put a huge dent in it. 
 
We went back to her place on Sunday to decorate them and make the candies.  The moms decorated ours first (Tierna joined us).  I did not take many photos because my hands were usually covered with royal icing or peanut butter filling or coconut filling or chocolate.  But while I was helping the kids with theirs and Steph and Tierna were mixing and shaping eggs I did snap a few.  Baylor was an old pro with the piping bag.

 
Gavin is missing on this one but Robin and Lilly were very intent on making their eggs.  Gavin ended up making two and I cannot remember if the girls did one or two.  I had made the royal icing critters to go inside the eggs and Steph picked up a few at the candy store. 

 
The girls making the peanut butter eggs. 


 
The table was full and this is just the peanut butter eggs.  We repeated the scene with coconut eggs.  And I had made dark chocolate truffles and then wrapped some of them in peanut butter filling for a truffle peanut butter yummy treat! 

 
After the eggs dried, which did not take long we headed home.  I think we did pretty good for our first try. 




 
Friday was Baylor's St. Patrick's day party at school and I made pretzel shamrocks.  After Baylor saw them he said he did not like them so we also brought carrots and green ranch dip.  When I picked him up he told me he at the whole pretzel treat!  Little stinker. They had a lot of yummy food at school and he said it was a good day! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment