Friday, March 8, 2013

General Update

 
We have a ten gallon aquarium that started out with red cherry shrimp. Over the last year they did not multiply enough to maintain their population.  Since it is a planted tank and is growing well I did not want to take it down. I have used it as a hospital tank for a panda cory that has a fungus or bacterial infection.  Actually he is back in the because his tail is about gone.  I have treated him twice with antibiotics and with other treatments and it is just getting smaller.  I am not sure what else we can do but I will keep trying.  But in them mean time we bought a blue Betta for the tank.  At first his name was Turkey but then Baylor changed it to Peter.  Since all the fish in the other tank are Spud, I kind of liked Turkey better.  But I did not win that discussion.  But I did guide Baylor to the one I thought was the prettiest. Or most handsome since he is a boy. 
 
 
Last week at Baylor's school the read Elmer the Patchwork Elephant.   So we made elephant cookies to share.  I had grand ideas of brightly frosted patchwork but it was becoming late and frosting smothered in sprinkles worked out just fine.  I did drip some with color and swirled it around. 

 
But I think they turned out just fine and Mary side the kids enjoyed them. 

 
This week they were reading Dr. Seuss in honor of his birthday.  After a bit of internet(Pinterest) searching for inspiration I came up with our own green eggs and ham with supplies we already had in the house.  We used an ice cube tray with little round bottoms to make the green yolk with green candy melts. I used the white melts to make the egg whites and dropped a yolk in before it set.  For the ham I smeared green on top of tiny pretzels and added a white spot for the bone.  We brought them in on Monday and the kids were excited to see what was in the container.   

 
Wednesday was supposed to be a potentially big snow storm that did not hit our area.  We had snow in the morning but it was raining and gone by noon.  Since Baylor did not get to play outside in the snow we made snow in a bin in the house.  It was one box of corn starch and almost a whole can of shaving cream.  It bought about an hour of play.




 
And then he wanted to take a bath with his box of new fun.  He filled it up and played for quite a while. I walked by once to find him sitting in the little tub with a happy smile on his face. 

 
When we got home Thursday night, he wanted to make snow again.  But this time we put the lid on the bin to keep it for another night. 

1 comment:

  1. I love all of your creative ideas!

    We also have a Beta fish-- in my classroom. It's also blue like yours. Lucas named him Chef. I think that's hilarious!

    The snow idea is super cool.

    We need to get a playdate in order soon!!

    ReplyDelete