Sunday morning my sleeping buddy was able to get somewhat of a sleep in. My side of the bed had two broken boards in the box spring so I spent the night rolled into the middle and had to roll uphill to get out of bed.
I went downstairs and Dad had the coffee going. So nice to have it ready for me when I get up. I made breakfast, bacon and eggs, for everyone, inside in the kitchen. We cleaned up and hung around until around 10:00 when Dad and I went to Gander Mountain to get a grill basket because we both forgotours. The grates on both the charcoal grill and fire pit were too rusty to cook on so we needed something. I bought Dad a shirt, Mom a pair of shower type sandals to wear around the house (the carpets made the bottoms of our feet black and she has more delicate feet than Baylor and I do) and a toy for Baylor. And the grill basket. Dad found a ax sharpening tool as his hand ax needed sharpening up.
The boys build a fire but we waited to start it closer to lunch when Heather and the kids were coming for a visit. Their campground is not very far from the State Park where we were staying.
Baylor rode his bike a bit while we waited for them. Heather needed to do some shopping in Chambersburg so I went with her to BJs and Aldis. While we were gone the kids played, watched a movie, and ate a ton of candy apparently. They played outside by the small creek after we got back and found a 'wild' chicken by the creek. The neighbors to the cabin had chickens in the yard and I am sure he just got out. We made mountain pies with sloppy joes and some with ham and cheese. For dessert we made peach pies and cherry pies. We had a quiet evening around the fire until they had to leave.
Monday I had slept terribly, just barely sleeping most of the time, barely awake. But we had good plans for Monday as we were picking up Cullen to spend a few days with us.
We picked him up after breakfast and they played around the cabin until we left for lunch at Waynesburger! It was not too far away from us either and I thought my parents would enjoy it.
And they did. And so did I and the boys.
In their big boy seats.
Then we drove to Gettysburg to take a tour of the Eisenhower National Historic Site which we thought the boys would tolerate the best. They were goof balls together and did just fine.
The farm tour was not very interesting to them but they behaved and listened when the guide was talking as we walked around the front lawn and then moved inside to tour the house.
We had to take a bus there and a bus back to the visitor's center and when we got back Baylor and I walked back to get the car while Cullen and my parents stayed at the center waiting for us. Mom has trouble with her hips and while she walked to the center she did not feel she could walk back.
I asked Dad if we could take the boys to Devil's Den and he agreed. I have a very good memory of the day my dad took Jamie and I there on a summer day and we had so much fun on the rocks. I have actually always wanted to go back there and I am glad we took the boys. They loved it! They could have stayed all day.
I followed them around for the most part, just to make sure if they did get injured I was there but nothing happened other than a lot of rock climbing fun.
Mom and Dad are sitting way down in the center of the photo after the line of parked cars in the back.
I hope this is a good memory for these two. So glad they have known each other since they were less than one year old and get along so well. While they were climbing Baylor told Cullen it feels so good to be free.
Eventually we had to get them off the rocks and head back.
Baylor showed Cullen how he likes to build fires, the log cabin method.
I drank some wine while sitting by the fire. Mom and Dad drank theirs from the deck.
For dessert we made smores and roasted all kinds of candy.
Cullen tried a giant Tootsie roll that looked like he was eating poop. Which being a boy was hilarious.
Just chilling by the fire.
After we were done eating and roasting we put a color packet on the fire. It does not show up as well on the photo as it does in real life but it was fun.
And playing in the fire.
Cullen picked out a pocket knife at the farm and was practicing his whittling. Now Baylor wants a knife but I told him he needs to ask Buddy first.
Tuesday morning was cold as compared to other mornings. The boys needed to cuddle together for warmth.
Mom and Dad went to Gettysburg to see a movie on the history of the democratic party and then planned to go out to lunch at the Cashtown Inn. That did not work out as the Inn had a note on the door stating they would not be serving lunch that day. The boys and I crossed the road, in the van, to play in the creek and have a picnic lunch. The creek was fun but chilly.
And it was overcast and not warm at all in the forecast.
Cullen was happy when I told him he could pee in the creek. Something about boys and peeing outside.
I found a while Cardinal flower on the creek bank and was happy to see it was doing well and had not been destroyed.
We had a little picnic by the creek and then headed to the pool.
You know it is a cold day at the pool when the lifeguards are wearing full sweatsuits.
The slide was open and Cullen went down a few times. Baylor said it was too cold to stand in line out of the water.
We played in the creek a bit more on the way out to the van and headed back to the cabin to warm up by the fire.
Buddy stayed with the boys while Mom and I went on a short road trip to find a round barn we had seen signs for.
The market was a bit sad in my opinion but the upstairs was beautiful and I can see why the host weddings there. In the spring or fall, because it would be too hot in the summer!
We bought some bacon and headed to another farm stand on the way home and bought some more bacon; to taste test of course. While we were gone the young boys had built a fire and I made pork tenderloin and baked beans for dinner.
And had a Mike's with dinner. After smores and roasted candies we took Cullen home.
On the way home we introduced Baylor to evening deer spotting. There is a long family history of deer spotting going back to when my dad was a kid and I would bet when his dad was a kid. I was the driver (there was no effect of the Mike's of course) and spotted all but one or two of the deer and I bet we saw over 20. We stopped at a little ice cream shop before going in for the night.



























































No comments:
Post a Comment