Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gingerbread House Decorating Party 2011

Saturday was our second Gingerbread House Decorating party.  I had a lot of fun last year and decided then that we would do it again this year.  Preparation began right after Thanksgiving and after the tree was up and the house was decorated.  Baylor was my willing assistant and could not have been cuter, for the most part!  He is going through some phase where it is too hot to wear a shirt and he is often shirtless!   And since we were making a lot of gingerbread dough he was usually covered in flour.  In a very cute way too!   


But he did help clean up the floor.


My friend Zakiya was down here for training in our office and I invited her over one night so she would not have to spend it alone in the hotel.  She helped Baylor with a batch of dough and he showed her how the sifter and noisy maker work.  She looked wonderful in my apron too.  She had a new shirt on and I did not want her to get it covered in flour or butter. 


We also made giant gingerbread men and Baylor enjoyed pressing the dough into the mold.  Notice is close concentration in making finger holes everywhere. 


We also made Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Balls for the party.  Too bad for my party goers I forgot to put them out!!! I remember on Sunday morning they were still in the fridge! 



Mom helped me to put the houses together on Friday night.  The hot sugar method works best for gluing them together but it is not very neat or forgiving.  We put together 9 houses and no one burnt a finger! 


Baylor has been making this straight smile for a while now and it is the same one my brother made at this age!  He may have an anonymous donor but my genes certainly came through. 


We made Rolo turtles too and we did remember to put them out. 




We made mac and cheese in one crock pot and meatballs in sauce in another.


Baylor loves to eat sprinkle cheese as he calls grated cheese.  It usually ends up on the floor though. 


The master of the hand mixer making pumpkin dip. 


Mom making mini pigs in a blanket. 


More sifting, this time of powdered sugar for the royal icing.


 I took a chance and invited a few more people than last year and we had a nice turn out. I had asked on the invitation that since it was being held from 11 to 5, please don't all show up at the same time, my small house cannot handle it. So at 11, no one was there and they all showed up at 1! 


But between 11 and 1 Baylor and Mom worked on his house together. He was using his magic breath to dry the icing really fast so the candy did not slide down too fast.   



I decorated small cut out cookie shapes and made decorated doors.  Then he became obsessed with the sprinkles and sugars. 


Here is his house on the front.  There is a cardinal, snowman and decorated door that I made and there is a bird house on the back side.  See the big drip of sugar going down the left of the house?  That is the not forgiving part of putting the houses together that way.  I love how the doors turned out though and they were gone really quickly when they were discovered.



Since everyone was there at once, we had to work in shifts.  Heather took Connor and Baylor outside and Cullen, Natalie and Vanessa worked at the table. 



Zakiya and Diane had never decorated a house before so they were there too.  Diane came for a visit from New Mexico for a few days and I was really glad she was able to come to the party and visit. 
She stayed until Lori got home from work too.  She really loves it out there and I am not sure when we will see her again.  She loved making the house.  So did Zakiya.  She was very precise and pattered and it turned out really nice. 

Heather and Connor worked together really on their house.  She left Brigid at home with John and we missed her but it was nice for Heather to be able to enjoy this with Connor.

This year I took photos of everyone with their house before they left. 

The McGraw family

The Hazels

Zakiya

Gavin

Robin

Mom, Diane and us.


Steph and I

Gavin, Baylor and Robin

Baylor 'monstering' to me!

I could not have done this partyer without my mom.  She was so wonderful helping me!  It was good to spend time with her and Baylor.  Too bad I forgot to turn on the flash for the photo! 

She decorated one of the extra houses and did a lovely thatched roof with shredded wheat.  I did that last year and I think it is my favorite roof! 

Lori felt left out so I made her a tool box to decorate. I pretty much forced her to do it Sunday after work and she is pretty worn out on Sundays after working three 12 hours days.  I don't think she really got into the spirit of it but I am glad she gave it a shot. 


Baylor and his house. 



My house.  This year I did a pretzel roof. 

It was a great party and I cannot wait to do it again next year.  Maybe I will be braver and invite more kids!  The crazier the better! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like such a great time. I'm sad we weren't able to make it this year. Please keep us on the list for next year!!

    Your house is awesome!

    Say, ever interested in a Baltimore meet up-- aquarium or Discovery Zone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun. I have never made a gingerbread house. I think I am going to try this with the kiddos next year.

    ReplyDelete