Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hurry Up, I am Behind Again

A few weekends ago Steph and the kids came over on Friday evening to swim with Baylor.  They had a good time together and were in and out several times throughout the evening.  We also made fresh chocolate ice cream but tasted the others that we have in the freezer.  Robin really liked the lemon poppy seed. Gavin thought he would like the mint chocolate chip but since I used fresh mint he was not much of a fan.  


Before they left we did some sparklers.  All I had were the short sparklers from the grocery store and they were quite disappointing.  They were about four inches long and by the time I lit one and handed it to a child it was nearly out.  Which lead to a personal mission to find longer sparklers.  But that is another story.  


In the mean time, the kids enjoyed them anyway.  They did not know sparklers used to be about twice as long.  



We set off only a few fireworks just for fun.  They were not big ones but were enjoyed just the same.  


It was also the night of the super moon.  All week had been a bit off and the super moon completely explained all the off temper and short attitudes we all had.  I know scientists do not think the moon has any bearing on these things but the rest of us know better.  It was a beautiful sight for many days as it was still up early in the morning for us to enjoy some more.  



On Saturday morning my parents, who had spent the night, gave Baylor a bubble gun from Ute.  It worked really well and Baylor had fun making bubbles in the fountain.  Good thing there are no fish in there!  


We headed to Havre de Grace, MD for lunch to celebrate Father's Day.  It was my dad's idea and being a weekend traveler myself (this apple did not far fall from that tree) I said of course.  I do not think I have ever been there before and I found it to be a nice small, old town with a lot of charm and places to shop!  But we were not there to shop.  We parked and went to the restaurant of choice and found there was a wait.  I took Baylor down to the bay to wait it out.  As a water boy, he is drawn to water, all kinds of water.  He got his feet wet right away and then wanted to go barefoot.  Since there was many pieces of broken, sharp glass that was not an option.  He hated his shoes being wet and of course the sand bugged him to no end.  But the call of the water was too strong.  





There was a nice house right on its own point of land across the water.  I am sure they are glad the house was still in the family!  Other than the rushing trains that sped past all the time.  



What was there to do you ask?  There was a rotting fish to check out and wonder about.  


Rocks, driftwood, boards, and branches to throw into the water.  What else does a boy need? 


We had been waiting about 10 minutes and they started fussing about waiting and talking about going the bar restaurant next door.  I told them we just drove a hour and half to get there and waiting 10 to 15 more minuets was not going to kill anyone.  If the other place had been his first choice I may have gone along with it but he wanted to eat at the Tidewater Grille and we just waited until the buzzer thing went off.  Sometimes I don't understand them.  Like where else did we need to be and what was the huge hurry to eat again.  I made a big breakfast and we ate late anyway.  


Baylor would not wear his shoes yet because they were not dry so I had to carry him in.  At the table he played with the camera.  I am rarely on the other side and this one is not too bad.  


We had tiny crab cakes for a starter and I had a chicken sandwich with homemade chips. Mom ordered a shrimp sandwich and Dad had the crab cake dinner.  They were wonderful, crab filled cakes and worth the price.  After lunch we walked around a bit looking for a park that was on the map.  We hit a few shoppes, a sports shop, and an antique mall.   We ended up driving to the park at the end of town so Baylor could play at the play ground to burn off some energy.  He slept the whole way home.  


Meme and Pap came down for a day for some appointments.  Baylor received these skates at his second birthday and we finally let him try them out.  He needs a new helmet, but other than that he managed them well.  


We finally have black raspberries for the first time in two years.  My heart beats faster when they are near. It could be because it knows all the scratches I will get picking the berries but I like to think is it because of all the yummy berry goodness about to go in my mouth.  


Baylor and Meme are still tight but you can tell she has not been around much in the last year.  She still treats him like he is two and not four.  She kind of missed the three year and now four years.  


I found some longer Morning Glory sparklers that are longer but I was not really impressed with them.  They kind of just spit out of the end of the stick but Baylor did not care.  They were fire on a stick and he loves that.  


In fact they made nice torches for pretend play in the dirt.  


So what have I been baking from Pinterest finds?  These chocolate chip fudge toffee bars. Yum.  


And these Sparkler cookies for Baylor to take to school.  He really liked the cookie and has already asked when I can make more.  I think the recipe is a keeper. 


The garden is growing wild and crazy.  


A few bright spots: purple cone flower


White cone flower


Catmint and butterfly weed.  


Queen Anne's Lace and a lily. 


A bee on the Bee Balm. 


Ok, more catch up later, we have a Saturday to get on with!  





No comments:

Post a Comment