Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christkindle Market

We trekked to Bethlehem, PA for the Christkindle Market on Friday.  Mom and I went two years ago when Baylor was one.  Dad came along this year.  We have friends who have a stand there which is how we found out about it.  Since it is all things Christmas, I am naturally drawn to it and love going!   It does not have the same draw to my Mom which is why we did not go last year.  This year was the first time at a new location in Bethlehem and I figured Garmin could find it and did not print directions from the site.  Boy was I wrong.  Thankfully Dad was driving and that we followed signs to the visitor's center in downtown.  I ran in to get directions and wish I would have had my wallet because there were several things that caught my eye.  Apparently we were not the only lost market goers because a woman was sitting on a bench with the Bethlehem maps and a marker going over the directions to a line of people. 


The new place is on the old steel mill grounds and next to the steel stacks.  They were really quite interesting and maybe the next time we go we can take the free tour.  I think we would all like that but since we got there later than we had planned we did not take the time to go see them up close.


Mom actually works for Larry and Sally who own The Bell People.  Of course we have several items but I still do not have a bell strap for the door.  I always say next year.  I really need to just pick on and buy it.  I love the sound of bells on the doors at the holidays.  Michelle is their daughter and she was running the stand with some friends because her parents were at another Christmas show in VA.  They do retail and wholesale business and this is a very busy time of year for the retail side.  The stand is always busy but they make time to visit with us when we see them. 


Most of the vendors are in two enormous tents and there is a courtyard in the middle.  The ice carver had a few pieces done already.  It was sunny but a definite chill in the air.   The ice was melting and Baylor loves running water and was naturally attracted to them. 


I did not check out all the vendors because having Baylor kind of limits that kind of shopping. The vendors are amazing and so many choices. 


Baylor found the play table with a lot of Melissa and Doug toys to play with.  I could have left him there and he would have stayed.  Well until he realized I was gone and he would have run crying for me but it would have taken longer than usual because he was having fun serving me pizza. 


This is the same Father Christmas from two years ago and I had to bribe Baylor with his blue LollyCane to sit with Santa.  He is usually very good with sitting with Santa and the Easter Bunny but he was really not into it.  I even offered a toy if he would sit with him.  I had bought the lolly cane earlier the day and as we were walking around he said he wanted his lolly cane.  So he did good with Santa holding his lolly cane.  He loved it to and ate the hook in minutes.  We had family photos done on a huge ice sleigh but I have to scan those. 


It was getting late and we were getting hungry so we headed out.  The carriage was out there waiting for business.  Baylor and I did go say hi to the horse. 


We went to a late lunch, is was after 2:30, and then headed home.  I was glad Dad was driving because I had being lost and driving but I was glad he went along with us.  I don't do much with him and it was a good memory for all of us. 



1 comment:

  1. Again, PA looks like it has so much to offer!

    My grandfather used to work for Bethlehem Steel....

    ReplyDelete