Saturday, November 3, 2012

Trick or Treat

 
With the passing of my grandma so recently and history of  Halloween being a time when the veil between their world our ours lifts, I felt the need to also celebrate the Day of the Dead.  I only decorated one of the paper mache skulls which was harder than I thought it would be.  I could not decide what to put on it.  But I did what I could and tried to have a few items with meaning and mostly decorative items. 
 
 
I put a photo of my grandparents with their dog Girl, or Jenny as she was originally called, and a photo of Lori's sisters and their dog Petey.  We lit the candles and I asked Lori to tell me a memory of her sisters and Petey.  She comes from a family that loves to sit around and tell memories and stories so for her it was easy.  For me, not so easy.  But I managed to come up with memories from when I was young and we had come to PA for vacations.  I lit the candles for two nights but I think we will keep the photos all year.  I know it is good for Lori to talk about her sisters and it is good for me to learn how to share memories. 

 
So here is the back yard today.  The leaves are all down, they are brown and even after a tropical storm, they are still on the ground.  So we will have to mulch them up because I don't like raking them.  I take Grandma's philosophy, why rake them up when they will eventually just blow away. 

 
Heather hosted the Aunt's meeting today and her house looked awesome decorated for Halloween.  She goes for the animated and spooky items and the kids loved it.  And the adults also. 





 
I did not see Baylor unless he was hurt or hungry. Connor and Baylor stopped just long enough to eat chicken corn soup and Baylor also had bacon for extra energy. 

 
 We had to leave a bit early because Trick Or Treat was moved to Saturday at 2-4.  We decided to join Steph and her kids in Nana Heidi's neighborhood.  We went their for his first Halloween when he was almost one.  He had fallen asleep in the car and was not happy awake for the first eight or so house.  He sat on my shoulders and the kids would take his bucket to the house or bring something back for him.  Eventually he was willing to hold the bucket and when I asked him if the thought he might be able to walk himself, he said he would give it a try. 

 
Off he went and was right in the swing of things.  He was very polite and said thank you (at least I heard it when I was listening). 
 
 


 
We had quite a haul by the time we made it back to Nana's house.  We also drove over to Steph's friend's neighborhood to see their daughter's costume.  We hit a few more houses and headed home. 

 
It was a good day and having it in the day light made it easier to keep an eye on the kids.  Baylor loved it and amazingly only wanted to eat one pack of skittles and a peppermint patty.  What a good little boy I have!  Certainly did not get that control from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment