Monday, January 7, 2013

First Day of Pre-School

Well, blogger is being a poophead again and I cannot upload any photos so I will have to do that when they get it fixed.  Today was Baylor's first day at preschool.






 Our sitter for the last two years, Mrs. Brenda, is retiring in June so we knew we needed to find a new place.  He had only had two sitters, Nana Heidi and Mrs. Brenda, in his life.  They were in his life for a reason and at the right time when he needed them.  Now we have found Mrs Mary Loreman and her daycare/preschool that she runs from her home.  She is part of the Early Learning Network and has a three star rating.  For our initial visit after driving 18 miles, complaining the entire way about how far it is, then talking to her, I left there saying it was the place I wanted him to go.  She was so calm and patient and I was impressed with her teaching methods she outlined for us.  She showed us the progress books they keep for each child and how they use seven methods of teaching and they like to hit each one for each lesson.  It is not a fancy place, just her basement that has been renovated over the years to three age areas and teaching/eating area.  She only has three stars because she does not have the fancy facility of a church or corporate run preschool.  It is clean, she can hold a child in her lap if the child needs it (some day cares steer away from contact for legal reasons, and she teaches in a way I wish more schools would teach.  Every child learns differently and can appreciate her methods.

He started today, and we did not make too much fuss before hand.  I guess I still remember the shy Baylor from last year at this time who hated to know what was coming next.  There was no preparing him beforehand by telling him where we were going.  That lead to tears and protesting.  He would always follow along anyway but I hated going through that.  But he has come a long way in the last year from my shy son how said he just missed me when he had to do to the sitters to the friendly outgoing son who wants to play with everyone.  Lori took him today and I was torn about going.  I decided for his first day it may be easier for her to take him because he can be more emotional with me around.  We did prep him for the change from Mrs. Brenda's to Mrs. Mary's and this morning he was skipping out the door with his little back pack strapped to his back.  Lori called me after she dropped him off for a report.  She said he went right in and Mary greeted him at the bottom of the stairs.  She took him to the table for breakfast of cereal and a banana.  Lori said he sat right down and started eating.  A boy next to him introduced himself and Baylor said, 'My name is Baylor, B-a-y-l-o-r".  She also picked him up today and we met at Hoss's for dinner.  It is his favorite place to eat so we thought it would be a nice treat for his first day of school.  I read the note they sent home with him.  Some highlights are:
--He fit in very well and had a wonderful first day. (insert Mommy grinning like a goof)
--He chose Old MacDonald to sing and told them he wanted to be a Vet when he grew up. (I am surprised he did not choose Wheels on the Bus and in the morning he said he wanted to be Santa Claus and I checked with him twice on that one)
--Lunch was baked fish, rice, broccoli with cheese, and applesauce.  Baylor ate everything and was the first one done.  (Half of that he would turn his nose up to at home)
-- He needs to work on how he holds a pencil. (OK, so I am a bit lazy about that around here)
--He has very good manners, excellent social skills, and cleans up his toys. (grinning Mommy again and why does he not pick up his toys around here)
-- He is very enthusiastic about school and learning, always ready to try new things and seems to learn quickly and easily.  (my cheeks hurt from smiling out of pride)

The only downer was he was too shy to ask for help with his jeans(they had a slide instead of a snap) and he had an accident.  But we had packed a change of clothes in his back pack and he came home in that.  I had put his potty shyness on the get to know him sheet because he did the same thing at Mrs. Brenda's.  He would get shy about asking to go to the bathroom or wait too long.  Oh well!  If that is the worst that happened, I will take it. 

He horked down dinner having his usual Hoss's feast: melon (honeydew tonight), green peas, Italian Wedding soup, and ice cream.  At home he was a wild thing so we played in the basement together until that energy was burned off.  He said several times that school was great and the kids were fun.  Friday he goes again and we have homework to do.  Hopefully he will have just as much fun on his second day! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh yay!! I'm so happy he had a great first day! Isn't it funny what they will eat at school? Apparently, Lucas ate chickpeas today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay!! I'm so happy he had a great first day! Isn't it funny what they will eat at school? Apparently, Lucas ate chickpeas today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I was looking forward to this update! Glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete