Friday, January 18, 2013

The Plague

I was off work on Wednesday for my birthday which is when I started to feel the on comings of the plague, or flu, I am still not sure.  Thursday morning I felt worse but decided I would go in for half a day to get some work done so my back ups did not have to.  I made it to noon and left achy and tired.  I after making it home, changing in to three layers of clothes, and taking something for the aches, I tried to rest on the couch and then was forced to lay on the bed downstairs.  Baylor certainly does not understand the idea that Mommy dos not feel well, please stop jumping on me, stop spitting on me, stop yelling in my face. All things that are pretty annoying in the first place but when I feel like a bus hit me, they are even worse.  Thankfully he was OK playing downstairs with me under a pile of blankets on the bed.  I made it until  6:30 with him, until his I-have-not-napped-an-no-one-is-well-enough-to-play-with-me behavior was more than I could take, and I hauled us both off to bed.  He did protest too much for about a forty five minutes and he did fall asleep.  I did too but not for long.  I think I got about 4 hours of sleep.  I did not go to work but worked from the couch at home. I took Baylor to preschool and we had a nice quite day. It was really odd being home without him.  Lori is a great napper and she is still not over it.  I feel about 50% better today.  At least the aches, chills and sweats are over, now I am just tired.  I am not a good napper and really did not feel like napping anyway.  I picked up Baylor from school and Mary gave me her report on him.  She started his progress binder and wanted to show me where he was.  She said he is very bright, excellent memory, she only has to show him something once and he knew it.  He can identify all the letters the class is has been working up to (L) and this is only in two weeks.  We do try to work with him at home but I run into attention problems with him.  He wants to make jokes about it.  We need to work with him on coloring within the lines and learning the song the do with the alphabet sounds.  She noticed he is not playing with the other children.  He is playing beside them and not with them.  I told her that was a problem at Brenda's for a long time also.  I think he takes a while to get comfortable with new children but they are going to work with him in the new few weeks to get him more comfortable with them.  All in all it was an excellent report and made me very proud of him.
On a sad note, because life is not all happy reports and speedy recovering from the plague, Mom and Dad called last evening to tell me Newton was no longer with us.  Tuesday he had a seizure out of the blue and yesterday he was having one after another.  They, Mom, Dad, and the Vet decided it would be best to help him pass because of the uncertainty and suddenness of it all.  They did not know if he would recover and be Newton or not and with as many as he was having so quickly it did not bode well for him.  It was a hard decision for them as I know how attached they are to their dogs.  Even if they only had him a few months, they got him in November, Dad needs something to spend his time and nurturing side with. 


When I told Baylor that Newton had died, he asked why.  I told him because he was sick.  Baylor told me he was sad because he really loved Newty, and he did.  He was always very gentle and kid with him. That is three dogs gone in his short life.  Poor guy!  I am sure my parents with get another one, I just don't know when.  Dad had a knee replacement this morning and it will be a while before his up walking around again.  Their house will be very quite for the next few months!  

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that's a lot! I hope you and Lori feel better soon. I'm so sorry about Newton.

    Baylor sounds like he's doing great!! (Don't ever let anybody tell you it's a good idea to color within the lines. Blank pages, random wild colors and imagination. That's what you're after - don't let preschool teachers tell your artist self any different.)

    Get (and stay) well soon!

    ReplyDelete