Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Beach Vacation!!

This year's trip to the beach happened a month earlier than last year.  But since I was going with my cousins I had to go when they were going.  DiAnn rented the two bottom rooms at the house we have been staying in at Wall's and the Wagon Shed house in the back yard.  Baylor and I got the back room in the same apartment we shared with Julie and Amy last year. It worked out well for us though it was super crowded with our stuff along the wall.  


We joined everyone for supper at Arena, an upscale sandwich shop.  I had shrimp tacos and Baylor had a bacon cheeseburger.  


And then we went to see the sea for the first time in 2017.  It was like coming home.


For both of us.  


I am so glad we get to make these memories.  


I got to sit in the sand and watch him play until the sun was behind the buildings. 




The rest of the family made their way down to the beach after stopping at the shops along the way.  Lynda and DiAnn and Joe. 


And Eli. Lexi, Rachel and Klaudia were down as well but they were off on their own photo shoot!  


Of course we had to have ice cream on the way back.  


All of us.  Except for me, I get enough cleaning up Baylor's cones. 


Lynda brought a giant bubble machine and I had packed a large bottle of bubble solution and a large wand so we had bubbles in the morning.  Which both the kids and adults loved.  




The boys had breakfast on the sidewalk under the tree.  


It was such a pretty day and we walked down to the beach around 10 am.  I rented an umbrella for us to share (I don't know why, I never get to sit under it) The water felt like it just melted off the iceberg but it did not stop Baylor and reluctantly me from getting in and having a great time.  When it came time to eat we headed to our plot and I walked up to find something for us to eat.  Baylor ate all the goldfish while he waited for me to get back. 


And sunned himself to warm up.  


 I found a corn dog for Baylor and I had a Cuban sandwich. All for a total of $15.00 and I did not even get drinks or fries! 


We played in the water again after we ate until Baylor got wiped out by a huge wave. And (thankfully) he said he was done for the day.  So we headed back, cleaned up and waited around until it was time to head out for supper.  Baylor and Paisley had a cookie snack while we were waiting.  


DiAnn and I took the kids and headed out to window shop a bit before supper.  DiAnn did all the planning for the trip and I am so thankful she let us come with them! 


We ate at Nicola Pizza, which is not my favorite but they like it.  I sat at the end with the kids, because they are a lot of fun and one of them is mine.  



Then we took them to Funland.  The only thing they did together was the big climbing cage.  


Lexi went on the rocking ship with Baylor because I cannot ride that one.  


We hit the arcade in Funland where he started earning tickets for the amazing prizes they have at arcades. Paisley liked to fold up the tickets as they came out.  


Lynda and I had a morning routine already.  I would hear her puttering around in the kitchen, I would get up and then make the coffee.  Then we drank coffee on the porch talking and saying Hi to people walking by.  It was a great way to start the day.  


Baylor was not getting enough sleep and was pretty grumpy in the mornings.  But that is fairly normal, the grumpy part that is. 


Bubbles again before breakfast. 



And after breakfast we packed up and headed down to the beach. Having the beach cart was so helpful!  


Another lovely sunny day at the beach.  In really cold water.  He did really great this year riding waves and bobbling in the surf.  I was out there with him most of the time and worked on teaching him other ways to avoid a wave if it is too late to get away with it.  He is not ready to dive under the waves but was practicing driving just under the top of the wave.  



I rented an umbrella again and did not use it again.  But other family members did so I was fine.  But I am buying one for next year!  


Refueled and off to ride the waves again.  


And he made surfing friends this year, which allows me to have a bit of a break. 





I moved my chair to the edge of the water and kept covered up with my towel because I could feel my back burning up.  It was not too hot so I was pretty comfortable in my towel.  


We went to lunch at Sammy's, Baylor's favorite place from last year.  

Tired and hungry from all the waves. 


They serve really great plain spaghetti.  And gyros for me! 


Then he wanted to go to the other arcades to play the big two person games we played last year.  We save quarters all year for this week so he was well prepared.  Jurassic Park here we come.  


For dinner the family went out to a new restaurant but Baylor really wanted to go back to Sammy's so we went. At lunch we had told Mr Sam we would be back for supper and when we saw him there he was very kind and gave Baylor a t-shirt, and offered him a job in 10 years!! 


He was so pleased with his shirt that he changed into it right on the street.  


We walked down to Funland to play games and ride a few rides.  We did the Paratrooper together which was fun for both of us.  He worked on collecting his tickets from the games.  


Monday morning Baylor looked a bit rough when he was out on the porch with us.  He is not good at sleeping in, a lot like me, and waking up early is really hard on him.  


But bubbles make things better for everyone. 


Lauren took some photos of me in the water with Baylor.  We did have fun but twice I had to hold him while we went though a wave we could not ride or run from.  But he was with me and they did not put him off the next wave.  







For lunch Baylor had a funnel cake and I finally had Grotto pizza.  They were both yummy and delicious. 



A friend was down as well and posted a photo of her outdoor shower view so I put one mine.  


Showering outside in the middle of the day is fun!  


It was Sammy's for supper again this time the rest of the family went with us.   


We said good-bye to Mr. Sam and he was happy to see us again. 


After supper, we went souvenir shopping and to use up the rest of our quarters and turn in our tickets.  He picked out a shark tooth necklace and some shark teeth.  We had a nice quiet evening at the beach and it was a wonderful long weekend together.  


Tuesday morning we headed out, Baylor in his movie watching tent and me awake and ready to head home.  We stopped at Mom's house on the way home.  They are not one the way home, but close enough.  We had lunch with them and then I went to the grocery store to pick up food for the rest of the week.  Baylor was able to stay with Buddy while I was at the store which worked out well for us.  


We headed home and in the hour drive, he took a nap and was a bit grumpy when he woke up.  But we were both super happy to see Jake and he was super happy to see me!  Like butt wiggling, tongue lapping happy dance.  Gloria had a rough time with him because he was apparently looking for me all the time and would not settle down.  She had a dog walker come in on the weekend when she worked her 12 hour shifts but he was still not settled. Next vacation I think he will be going to a kennel.  But it was a nice welcome home!  




No comments:

Post a Comment