Friday, June 24, 2011

A day with Meme

Meme and Pap came down for a few days to visit.  Well Meme visits and Pap works.  He needed to hook up the plumbing in the new basement bathroom.  We now have more toilets in house than bed rooms!  We only have a two bedroom house and originally one and a half baths so it is a nice upgrade.  There is a bathtub too.  I am sure as Baylor gets older, it will come in handy!  Until then, Dave, our nephew is going to be living down there.  It could be exciting until we get used to things.  We live alone and it is hard to see in the house.  Running around naked or nearly naked after showering is not just for Baylor around here.  Back to Meme and Baylor.  He LOVES his Meme and I think she is his best friend right now.  She does not know the word no when it comes to him and they do everything together all day long.  When I got home from work they were playing outside, as usual on a nice day.  They have their own games they make up and today they were catching wiffle balls in the net.  He loved it when he would make a basket! 


Poor Eddy Mae Jean, she is such a good daughter in a dog suit and big sister.  She has been patient with him, for the most part.  When he was younger and less gentle, she warned him a few times but would get up and leave before even thinking of nipping or hurting Baylor.  He loves to chase her in the yard.  When she was younger and before her knee surgery that was her favorite game too.  She loved playing I am going to get you and would run circles around us.  She can manage a lap or three and then she is done now.  She is 10 years old now and just does not have the pep she used to.  But she will still do a round for Baylor and he laughs and laughs while they are running.  And then he gives her a cuddle because he really does love her.  In his own special way.



Will I buy anything I see I think he will like?  Of course I will!!  He loves his humming birds and all things sparkly.  I saw this spinner with a humming bird and I knew he would love it and he did!  We hung it on his play house.  He likes to move it to the fence to redecorate but I try to explain to him it will not spin there. Eventually it makes it back to the hook and spins away to make him smile. 



Now a walk to the gardens while they play basketball.  The strawberry garden is growing well and I think we will be able to have some soon.  They are everbearing so later in the summer we will be snaking on fresh warm strawberries.  See the bird in the garden.  Another garden gift for my bird loving son.   


Last year I grew cucumbers in large garden pots.  Baylor loved watering the que-toes as he called them.  Imagine my disappointment the day he corrected me and said Mom they are cucumbers.  Anyway, he loved eating them last year and still loves them this year.  I weeded the garden beds on another Meme visit and planted four cucumber plants.  We are ready to harvest already. 


When Mr Sunnyman went down behind the Brown's house, Baylorism for sundown, Meme took him out to catch fireflies.  Last year when he was just talking he had a hard time saying lightening bugs but he would give it his best try.  They were in a book we read at night too and he knew what they were. Mamma and I usually have him in bed before the bugs start flying and it is dark enough to see them.  Grandma's have special privileges in our house and he can stay up past bed time.  He has a bug box, shocking I know, and they took it out to catch them.  Meme can see the bugs when they light up but not when they are flying around.  I was catching some also when I heard them say Oh we squished one.  It became his story for the last few days too. 





Lori came out to see the catch before we let them fly.  I am fine with learning about bugs but unless it is a stink bug, they need to be let go.  Especailly fireflies.  I don't remember them growing up out west.  I do remember coming to my grandparent's farm on vacation seeing the sparkle in the dusk and catching them in jars.  Baylor is lucky to grow up with them! Unfortunately he will also grow up with stink bugs! 


See there they are.  We had a few more by the time we were done.  I have learned fireflies fly up so if you keep the container with the opening down, they don't get out as quickly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment