We all know now what pudding does to one's face but what about when a toddler is eating it frozen. On a stick. Totally hilarious facial hair preview! He looks like a little pirate.
Saturday morning I went to let the dog out and found about a zillion beetles in between the windows that slide. Gross!! They were not dead which meant a lot of squirming to try to get out. I searched to cupboards for some alcohol to try to kill them without pesticides. It is our primary door after all and I did not want extra grossness at the door to be cleaned up. I could not find any, must have used it last year on the wasp nests. So I made extra strong soapy hot water and poured it into the space. It worked to a degree because first all the water white water rafted the beetles out of the space, which is good because I was wondering how to get them out of there. Second, because if there is a first there has to be a second, they were now on my door mat and deck squirming about. Gross again. Thankfully the soap water did it's trick and they expired and were swept off the deck before company arrived. I hate summer bugs, except lightening bugs of course.
We had gone shopping to a produce market and Baylor of course wanted corn on the cobbers. I usually grill our corn so the husks and silks come off easier but he had other ideas this morning. He wanted to cook it in his little kitchen and took the corn outside to husk it. For being his first time, he did a great job. He worked on it pretty much a leaf at a time and got it down to the corn. He managed to get the silk off too and took a few bites. He did two ears.
We had our first harvest on Saturday from the cucumbers and found two more on Sunday. We made him a bowl of sliced cucumbers and salad for the rest of us. He horked down his bowl while waiting for lunch to be ready and then ate more in the salad.
We also had our first raspberries. When we were looking for a new home I said I wanted a place with big enough yard for raspberries. We found the place and the first summer I had red raspberry plants in my new garden. I found yellow berries one year and planted them also. What I was really wanted to plant was my grandpa's black raspberry plants. They have had a rough time at my house and unfortunately I am nursing two barely alive plants hoping they will survive and fill in their new bed. I don't have the option of digging up more so it they don't survive I will be very sad. The red and yellow berry beds are jam packed with plants now. I really cut them back last year so my harvest has been delayed as I usually can start picking in early June.
Baylor has been eating off these plants for the last two years and remembered them from last year. He likes the yellow berries better for some reason but has been eating more of the red so far this year.
Don't you just want to eat it? I did too and I did eat it!
While hunting for fireflies I found this little toad in the yard. Baylor was less than impressed and I was disappointed. He was a man on a firefly catching mission and was not to be distracted by a toad.
I suggested he let the toad free in the strawberries so he could eat bad bugs. Baylor was happy to help with that process. He was gentle tipping out the toad and I am sure he was able to hop under a plant and take a rest from his recent adventure. We did catch several fireflies and I am amazed how fast he sees them and trys to get them with his net.
And introducing Fred II with a spot on his head as we call him. Grandpa Ron has many fish and many of them are too big for our little pond. We fianally managed to catch a smallish fish and after a half day of being shy, he is now used to his new home and we are glad to have him.
I think Mark is happy again too. Although he is a bit fuzzy looking. I will have to try to get a better picture of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment