Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Garden

It has been such a mild winter and spring that the weeds are totally ahead of the plants and my ability to get rid of the them.  I spend time most nights, when not too cold or raining, pulling weeds.  And I have a lot of flower beds and it takes about an hour to do a 4 x 4 area.  I have two raised beds in the fenced in garden and I cleaned one before Easter and the other one is right behind the cleaned out one.  You can hardly differentiate it from the weedy ground!  It took forever to clean the beds!  And we are always working on keeping them cleaned out. Baylor does help in his three year old way. 


The before shot of the weedy bed! 

And several weeks later both are cleaned up and a trellis has been added for climbing beans and cucumber plants to grow on.  Thank you Pinterest for showing me the trellis idea.

Yesterday after we got home from Roots, we planted the beans, carrots, cucumber and corn seeds. Baylor's trenches are all over the place and will be interesting to see them grow in. 


I spent several hours cleaning the raspberry patches and little man tried to help but they are very prickly and he was really good about staying out and not grabbing the cut branches.  He loves to help through stuff in the compost so it was hard for him not to help. 

 This is the side gardens the end of March.  I had great ideas of taking a photo on the same day each month standing on the same spot.  Well, that turned out to be very difficult to schedule (ok, I am pretty lazy about some things) and I will have to settle with periodic check ins.

I did not cut anything back in the fall and all that winter interest was a pain to get out of all the new growth.  And because of the wet year and mild winter we had an explosion of a new to me weed.  I was going to ask my neighbor about them because I don't remember ever seeing them anywhere and this year they were every where.  Before I had a chance to ask her, she asked me. And later that day my cousin asked me also.  So I had to do some online research and found out it is called bittercress and it is taking over this spring.  It is edible if we are every looking for a snack in the garden.

 The same part of the garden as above just standing on the other side of the walk.  What a difference a few weeks can make. 

We have a giant sand pile in the yard.  I cannot wait until we put something big and blue on it.  Summer fun here we come.






1 comment:

  1. Such a peaceful yard! I hope that we'll get the chance to play in it again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete