Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day at The Hazels

Sunday my parents came over to my house and we piled into the van and headed to Heather and John's campsite.  It is about 40 minutes away and we visited them once last year.  This year they got a permanent site and have been setting it up for the last month.  The week before, when we got all the rain, they were flooded up to their first step and John's car was in enough water that it would not start!  But it was all dried out by now.  We have not see them since the first weekend in April and we missed Brigid's birthday and Easter with the kids.  


Part of Connor's Easter basket was a large soccer ball and the devil sticks (I am not sure what their real name is, that is what we called them at camp). I am not very good with them but good enough to show Connor how to get started.  


Part of Brigid's birthday gift was her own tent, in the form of a pink castle.  When the boys get together they make tents of blankets and furniture and poor Brigid gets left out of them. So I wanted her to have her own place to go and I bought her a pink dragon because all princesses need a dragon.  


Brigid was nice enough to let the boys in the castle.


And of course her best friend Charlie was allowed in.  It is a good thing Charlie has her because Murphy died in April.  It was a sad weekend for everyone because he was just a wonderful dog!!  


And when that was not working she just dumped the castle over him.  



Happy Third Birthday pretty girl!!  


We have a saying in the family that comes from Grandpa, the smoke is pretty acrid, it gets you acridly in the face no matter where you. (think accurate, it is not as funny when I write it down!)



Connor rode his bike everywhere and Baylor chased him around the park.  On their first lap Baylor took a nose dive in the drive and skinned his knee.  He was ready to go right there and we had only been there for about 15 minutes!!  It took him a long time to get over it and we changed his shoes from flip flops to 'crocs'.  Well, after running full speed after Connor for a long time, he came back with a new pain on his foot.  This time in the form of a blister, his first blister, and it was already broken open.  I took him over to the creek to put his foot in the water to cool it down.  It worked for a while until we could get a bandage with cream over the blister, then socks, and shoes.  Good thing I packed for everything!  Heather bought a beach cruiser and took the boys for a ride down to the 'pond'.  It is actually a low area in the creek that was still running high from the rains.  Usually it is just marshy but now it was a slow water area the boys could play in.  Mom and I walked down after them to help out with all the kids.  


The boys were good on their own and just played around the pond together without any incidents.  








Baylor was good about taking Brigid in to the water but then they would both splash her and out she would race.  






So I took her out to the little island because they boys were too little to take her along with them.  It was a bit deep out close to the island, deeper than I thought because the leaves masked the real bottom!!  


But we made it and waved to Heather and Mom sitting in the shade.  





After we dried off we walked to the office/store and bought ice cream.  The boys and I sat out in the sun and Heather, John and Brigid sat on the porch in the shade.  





I am glad these two are friends!!  


I took the boy to the play ground when they were done with their cones.  








It was a wonderful day at the camp and I hope we go back.  They will be there just about every weekend so I am sure we will!  

No comments:

Post a Comment