Sunday, April 9, 2017

Whirlwind of a Weekend

Saturday morning we had Aunt's Meeting at DiAnn's.  Nothing out of the ordinary and always a good time with family. Griffon and Paisley were there this time and DiAnn boiled some eggs to color.  We had fun with the kids too!  


I love my Mom!  And glad we get to see each other so often.  Baylor and I had to head out at 1:00 to get to Ryder's for a sleep over birthday party.  


They had a laser tag game planned for the local fun fort park and she said they were there for over two hours.  I guess we will have to look into getting a pair of laser guns.  For the price of four to keep, they could have gone to the laser tag place.  She said they played even more when they got back to their house.  I am sure they will be a favorite!  The boy's brains have been taken over by Minecraft and Heather made a Minecraft sheep cake.  Baylor had drawn a Minecraft sheep on Ryder's card.  I went home and did laundry and cleaned up some stuff the in basement with my child free time.  


We had an offer through work to get Fitbits free, for the basic model, and a really reduced price for a more upgraded model.  I had no extra money that week so I got the free one.  One thing I like is the sleep tracking.  And the occasional insights.  And Monday, I did not sleep 11 hours.  I was apparently so still on the couch, after raking the flower bed, that it thought I was asleep at 5:40.  And it likes to tell me I wake up earlier than most people. Duh. 


I picked Baylor up at 10 and Gloria and I had a surprise for Baylor.  Gloria took a vacation day and we had plans to head to the Lancaster SPCA to look for a new dog.  We were texting back and forth on Friday with dogs on their site but on Saturday most of them were gone and new ones were there instead.  We decided we would go and see what they have anyway.  On the way Baylor fell asleep, well played out with his friends yesterday and not enough recovery sleep.  He knew where we were going and why because he does not like the anticipation of surprises.  We arrived 30 minutes early and we walked around the building.  The kennels are open but fenced in so we could see the dogs. 


Some of the dogs we were looking at Friday on their site. I think we have a type.  





Gloria liked a white English Bulldog but this black and white dog caught my attention because he was out in the kennel and interested in the people outside but not barking his fool head off.  Not barking at all actually.  So when the opened we went to see him first.  Gloria just asked for paperwork to start to fill out and Baylor and I went in.  The dog, Jarvis, see above with the smile, came to the front and licked my hands.  We headed back to see the other dog Gloria liked and someone else stopped at Jarvis.  I panicked and turned Baylor right around and stuck by his gate until we could get someone's attention to let us meet him.  She leashed him and told us we could go to the outside kennel and once I shut the gate I knew we were not leaving without this dog.  He was friendly but not super hyper. He chased the ball but was not super hyper about it.  The word best to describe him was chill.  And sweet and loving. And handsome.  I had Baylor run inside and tell Gloria we found our dog.  The people asked Gloria if she was going to meet him first and she told them that we knew what we were doing and if we loved the dog, so would she.  She did come out of course and agreed we made the right choice.  His paperwork said he came up from Tupelo, MS on 4/5 and his records start 3/22.  He was listed as a Lab mix, 10 months old.  There was no reason why he was suddenly in a shelter at 9 months old with a birthday listed as May 22, 2016.  




Most dogs don't get to go home with their forever family the same day but he had all his clearances and we were quickly cleared as well. We walked next door to their thrift store and bought a $.50 collar in red.  And off the the amazing pet store in Lancaster to get him what he needed.  He was cool about everything.  

Our first family selfie! His name was listed as Jarvis but in the car we threw out several new names and settled on Jake.  


I sat in the back on the way home, we were not sure how he would be yet and Baylor does not like dog licks.  


He settled down and tried to take a nap. How chill is that? 



We took him for a walk right a way and I noticed there was no pulling on the leash, no sniffing off to tomorrow.  Just walked beside or behind us.  Baylor really warmed up to him and I think they will be a good match. 


While we were standing in the outside kennel I texted Megan to see if we could borrow her crate.  She even dropped it off for us and was leaving when we were pulling in.  Hopefully the crate will be a short term place.  I put the gate up at the kitchen door to keep Grimm safe until we know how is with cats.   


We are going to keep him on a leash until we know more about him but he was sure happy with his bully stick and I hope happy to have a home. 


On our walk we stopped by the Browns to show them the new addition and the girls were over as soon as they could.  I caught them all in the crate while they were making sure it was comfortable.  


He was not afraid of the crate and laid down in it for a bit.  It is only for when we  are at work and I plan on coming home at lunch to let him out.  I cannot believe we have a dog again!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment