The second weekend in August means Lisburn Old Time Fair around here and Baylor has been waiting all week for it to open. Since it is literally out the backyard we see all the happenings going on there. Last Sunday we watched the big rig bring in ride after ride. Of course he loved that a big truck was passing his yard again and again.
It starts on Wednesday night but just the games. That is the night I agreed to bake pies this year. With Baylor and Lori's schedule, it is the only night I can easily fit it in. Thankfully Meme arrived that afternoon so I was not missed very much by anyone. I was only gone for about an hour and a half anyway.
Thursday is the real open day and as soon as Baylor saw the horse trailer pull up he came running to us. I cannot believe he remembers riding the horses last year but he does. I realize he does not have a lot of memories cluttering up his mind, but the fact that he remembers it at all from when he was a year old amazes me. Meme gave him horse money and he was waving it at the fair telling the horses he was coming. He asked me if he could ride the horse that would not bite him.
We walked over and were the first in line. This horse we found out may have been a bitter. I think the owner really wanted him to do the rides but the horse was afraid of everything and they eventually pulled him from the ride area.
Next to the horses is the dunk tank so they left the pumper truck there to refill it with ease. Another thrill for Baylor to have a firetruck parked right outside his house.
I walked the first lap with him because they suggested I stay with him. I knew little man was on there to stay and let him take the second lap by himself, so I could take pictures of course! He did not even wobble up there!
After the horse ride the next best venue was the tractors. He was so excited about the Johnny Poppers and we had to check out each tractor.
We are a John Deere family but I do like this Oliver.
Meme was with us and she bought him a small handmade broom to take up to her house. Right now he loves to clean and sweep so we do take advantage of it. He swept everywhere we were after he had that broom in his hands.
Then it was time to get some food! It is a fair after all. There is not much to be found on a stick and they don't deep fry much other than the fries and funnel cakes but for the most part everything is delicious.
We took the fries back to the house to eat. Baylor was done for a while and was watching Thomas when I hear the sound of tractors on the move. I shouted to him we were missing the tractor parade, grabbed the camera and his hand and we ran over there. Actually, I don't run but I walked as fast as he could keep up. We missed about half the parade but watched them all come up around to park and that was just as good for Baylor. Baylor came home and kept telling everyone he almost missed the parade.
We meet this gentleman's granddaughters while waiting for the tractors to park. They were very proud and excited to see him driving his tractor.
Baylor loved this one with the crawler tracks. They had a parade on Friday too be we did not go back for it.
We met up with Steph and the kids on Friday night. Of course Baylor wanted to ride the horse first. Steph put him on the horse, did the first lap with him, and he did the second one on his own again. This time I could get with the sun behind me to take the photos too! Sometimes life is a blog post!
I wish I would have had the focus more on him rather than the horse on this one but I really like it anyway.
Gavin took a turn also on the horses but Robin said she keeps falling off of them and did not try.
After the horse we took the kids to the rides. Baylor wanted to ride the fire engine of course.
I love this photo of Gavin!
Then Gavin took him to the fun house. The lady was worried about him being little and not being able to make it through but I asked her if he could go with Gavin behind him to help. As long as Gavin was not carrying Baylor she said it was ok. I remember Gavin's first time on the fun house and I think he was not even two and Robin had to lead him through. This time Gavin was the big kid who just stayed behind Baylor and encouraged him along but Baylor did great. He got a bit bogged down in the ball pit but waded through to get to the rope climb.
At the top of the climb is a turn around and a run over the bouncy walk and then a big slide. When I say he was stoked about the fun house I mean he was stoked. That is the only way to describe it. He did the arm pump about getting through the ball pit and everything! It was a wonder to see! He is just so amazing to me. I love to see him grow and enjoy adventures in life. I cannot believe he is the little 6 lb baby I brought home almost three years ago!
Gavin was really good about riding the smaller rides with Baylor. He will be 7 in October and still enjoyed these rides.
I challenged the kids to win a gold fish and after the third bowl of balls, Robin scored a fish.
Of course we named the fish Robin after her. He is now the small fish in the pond but seems to be doing well so far,
Robin was not into the kiddie rides so she had to go on her own on the bigger rides. I was not too sure Baylor would like this one and since he did not meet the ride height, I was ok with that. She was dizzy when she came off the ride and needed her mom to stabilize her for a minute!
We did a few games. Like the shoot the water into the tube to get the ping pong ball out first and win a stuffed animal. Like we need more of those but fair time is fair time and I was determined to win. Meme helped Baylor on #15 and I took lucky #16. We were both born on the 16th and it has always been lucky for me. Since we had a lot of players, when I won, which I did, we got to pick a medium prize. He picked a dalmatian with a fire helmet on. That may have to go to Meme's with the broom. What was I thinking!
After Steph and the kids left, it was dusk and we heard the hay ride. Baylor ran into to get Meme. We walked back to take a hay ride in the dark. Last year the tractor was not working when we went to take a ride and we never went back for it. We had to get a hay bale ladder to help myself and Meme get on the wagon. It is a nice ride for $1.00 and he loved it! Loved it! It was dark and I did not have my camera but we have our memories right?
Saturday night Baylor fell asleep at 5:45 because he never napped all day. We never made it back to the fair or the horses or the fries but it will be back next year!
It takes a week to set up but it is now 815 on Sunday morning and nearly everything is gone. The rest of the day will be clean up for the volunteers. See you next year fair!
No comments:
Post a Comment