Friday, January 20, 2012

My New Toy


Not satisfied with my 20 gallon aquarium, I have been looking to up size for a few months.  Not having the money to buy one off Craigslist right now, nothing was really changing.  However, the first week of the month my boss said she was ready to get rid of their 75 gallon tank, everything included.  I asked Lori if we could get it and she was agreeable!  I agreed to take her four remaining fish and Baylor and I drove to her house to pick it up.

I resealed the edges first.  I am not sure it was needed but I felt better about it.  I did it with the 20 gallon when I bought that one used. 



  It took a week to get all the other stuff to get it started, the dirt, the gravel, rocks, driftwood, and plants. Some of the rocks and the long piece of wood was found on our creek adventure. We live not very far from a really good pet store that has tons of plants and fish. I love going there and Baylor just tolerates it. We went around noon on Saturday. We took our number ticket and we were number 24 and they were only on 82. We found out while waiting that if you lose your ticket, you lose your turn. They don't take your word for it. We picked out our plants and a few other items and headed home to start setting things in place. 



My little helper, as usual. 


For the most part it is a natural looking set up. Except for the blue LED light strip.  I do have a three year old after all.  He proclaimed it beautiful when I turned it on.  It is only on when the overhead lights are off and makes a nice night light when one has to take the dog out at 1:30 in the morning.   


The tank has been running for a week cycling to make it ready and safe for the fish.  In a few weeks after the tank is ready, we will move our fish into the new tank and eventually pick out some new fish.  We did buy some Emerald Catfish that are living in the smaller tank now.  They are so tiny and cute! 



1 comment: