So the day arrived an all the party prep was coming together. Fifteen houses had been rolled, cut, baked, and put into bags that were all about the house and some even in the garage. For two weeks I would make two batches of dough in the morning and roll, cut and bake in the evenings after dinner. I also made three giant gingerbread men and two giant trees. Mom and I spent quite a bit of time Friday night putting the houses together with hot caramel syrup. I think I splashed it on her three times with immediate blisters resulting. I am glad she is so patient with these things and I just sent her to the sink to cool it off. It took over an hour and more to get them done but we did it.
In the morning I put my elves to work decorating this little tree for the cabinet in the hallway. It has tons of tiny ornaments and there is at least one on each branch rather like our living room tree. I like a full tree, what can I say. They did a great job while I puttered around the kitchen getting ready.
I started mixing up the frosting for a giant chocolate chip cookie in the shape of a Christmas tree. We tinted it green and added M&M ornaments. Baylor said it was very bright in the kitchen and he needed to wear sunglasses. It lasted about as long as the photo and he was back to mixing.
Earlier in the week Zakiya came over for dinner and a visit. We mixed up some dough and Baylor did everything by meself and showed her how it was all done. He was quite the little pro about it too and I was giggling behind him as I was measuring out the ingredients.
Since Mom was there I had her help me get a photo of Baylor and Eddy by the tree for our Christmas card. One person needs to wrangle the dog for the shot. With me sitting on the floor she wants to head straight for me for a kiss and lovings.
I cropped it in a bit for the card but you can still see the flash of Mom's hand trying to keep the hat on Eddy.
We made turkey and veggie soup, sandwich wraps, and cream cheese tortilla rolls. It was an easy spread and not much was left over at the end of the day.
At 11 we were all done a ready for the fun to begin. We had the table ready with royal icing and candy to get people started with. Like I told Tara, if we did not have some candy, she would only have her candy available for her house. And not that she would not like what she brought and all but it is good to have choices. And thankfully we live near a lot of stores with huge bulk sections with a lot of seasonal candies.
Some houses waiting for new owners to snap them up. It is a buyer's market after all.
Mom took a pretty good photo of Baylor and I getting ready with our aprons on. I love my little helper.
I pre-decorated a few items to go on the houses so they would be dry before people needed to use them. I made wreaths on doors, Mom and Baylor picked holly and berry sprinkles with tweezers and made large wreaths. We decorated birds and bird houses and a few other items.
At 11 Baylor and Mom got started on their house. Baylor remembered doing it with Mom last year which just amazes me that he remembers it. It was a year ago but I guess he has the same memory ability as I do. Silly Mommy! Mom lets him lead while he is there and once he is done, she is free to finish as she wishes.
Tara and Lucas were first to arrive. Lucas really just wanted to play with Baylor and the train room.
It took a bit of convincing to spark his interest in decorating but eventually he did help out. And when Baylor was done, so was he. They sped off to the basement with the two Addys who had also arrived early in the party. It is always fun to play with new toys!
With their girls gone, Megan and Danielle were free to finish their gingerbread men in peace. Megan suggested next year we just send the kids outside to play and let the moms decorate together. That is the way it ends up anyway with the little kids.
Tara and I have been joking about the whole owl craze sweeping the nation and I could not resist making an owl. But the real joke is about turkeys and I should have made her a turkey! Next year or depending on what is fashionable then!
I try to get photos of everyone with their houses. Mom was first.
Tara was next. She was really interested in a bite out of her house.
Teige just turned two and she really got into it.
Poppop Darren was helping her get started.
Tammy and her granddaughter Teige.
Teige's mom Sam.
Sam did not finish her house because she was being very methodical about it and they had to leave at a certain time for another engagement. Hopefully she will find time to finish it. Apparently she has Aunts who make these and enter them in the Farm Show.
It could be one of these from this year's Farm Show.
Zakiya brought her almost two year old nephew Justice and his mom Anel. It was her first house and she did a great job. Justice was a sweetheart and had fun with all the kids.
The girls and their dad arrived mid way through the party. Mandy was at a writer's club meeting but was able to come over to take over so Doug could go home to take care of a few things.
Vanessa and her gingerbread man.
Natalie and her house.
Brigid helped out with her house. I helped her with the frosting and she stuck the candy on it
And Connor and Heather worked on theirs. For some reason I did not take a photo of them with their creations.
Baylor wanted to do a house all by himself. And he did. I tried squeeze bottles this year for the icing and other than the pain to refill them all the time I think they worked better for kids and anyone not used to an icing bag.
He even did the layering of candy on the roof and a pattern going on the peak.
Robin made a giant gingerbread man.
Gavin decorated a house.
Jaden with his house.
His sister Leanne with her house.
And my little man passed out on the couch after every one left after 7. We had a great party and I am so happy for the memories we are creating for our children.
On Monday night I decorated two of the remaining houses and took them into work for my bosses as gifts. And use up some of the candy, which whatever was left over was taken to work on Wednesday.
And Tuesday I made a log cabin out of the last blank house.
Ok, I am done decorating houses for another year!!




Wow - what an amazing day!! Love all the houses, and your log cabin could be a Farm Show entry.
ReplyDeleteHow cool!!!! So much fun! I've never decorated a gingerbread house!
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed...what fun! I too have never decorated a gingerbread house. I bought a little store bought kit to make some with the kids this year. Somehow I do not think they will look anywhere near as good as yours!
ReplyDelete