Friday, July 11, 2014

Before and After: The Garden


The day after a storm, we had beautiful blue skies with gorgeous clouds. 

This week I made it my mission to get some yard work done that I have been putting off for many weeks.  I did not take a before photo of this but just imagine the grass and weeds covering this entire space that were reaching as tall as the window air conditioner.  The bricks were rather loosely thrown down on the ground and I had to dig then down to ground level so we can mow over them.  


I had three of these containers full of the tall grass and weeds by the time I was done. 


The super moon was coming this week and I kept an eye on it as it was arriving.  It is a shame the moon is so hard to get a good photograph of. It loses a lot in the photograph and looks all blurry.  


It took two nights but I finished the edging and part of the mulching.  I left some dirt open for Baylor to play in but he has not been too much into swamping since he discovered bicycle riding.  


After the garden was done on the back of the house I turned the corner and started going around the other side of the house.  The grass is starting to take over and I had to pull out the plants I wanted to keep in there so I could untangle the roots from the grass roots otherwise all my weeding would be for naught.  The grass is a real bear because it comes right back from any rootlet left in the ground.  



The garden is full of color and I shopped to enjoy what was going on.  The catmint is always stunning right now with its mound of light blue flowers that attracts tons of bees.  


Of course the bees love the bee balm as do the humming birds. I put out our feeders too late and I think they nested elsewhere this year as we have not seen any at the feeders or in the garden.  



Some Queen Anne's lace in with the bee balm.  


Butterfly week in brilliant orange.  


Cone flowers are blooming and the bees love them as well.  When they go to seed, the finches love them in the fall and winter. 


Back to weeding and finding out what survived the construction since this was all part of the garden at the back of the deck.  


By Friday the super moon was here and I was glad it was a clear night so we could see it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment