Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pork Butts and John Deere

The family reunion is coming up and I picked up two pork butts to smoke.  I brined them overnight and hauled them out to the smoker as early in the morning as I could.  


Awww, a beautiful site; smoke wafting up from the grill! For the next six hours I tended them in their smoky room. 


We both worked outside all day.  Baylor worked with his tractor giving his friends rides around the driveway. 






I worked on the mulch.  This is actually the mulch pile Saturday morning. I had moved a few loads Friday night and had my friend's 15 year old son help me Saturday morning.  I thought having a strong, young guy helping me would get it done faster but in reality he could not keep up with me.  


By the end of Saturday, I had the pile down to this.  


And buy Sunday, this was the parking pad!   Amazing, especially since it was delivered end of April or something.  This is the way it is every year.  I think I will get it done in the spring and wait until right before fair to get it done!  


After six hours, the butts were wonderfully smoked but not done.  So I moved them to a low over for another six hours to fully break down to yummy, moist, porky goodness.  




After a few nips, it was off to the freezer for next Saturday's special.  




No comments:

Post a Comment