In keeping with the desire to still have the Gingerbread party but maintaining my sanity, I kept the party very small again this year but at my house. I invited Tara and Lucas, the McGraws, and Heather and the kids. Tara and Heather, with their kids, were able to make it but the McGraws were having an entire family photo shoot including Amy's children. It is hard to get everyone together at the same time so while I was sad they would not be there, I completely understood. Even though it was a small party I still had a boatload of decorating goodies. I used the side bench that usually holds school and craft items to hold half of the goodies and the rest went on the table, right next to Baylor's Santa's Wish List.
Tara was the first to arrive and was ready to sample the candy right away.
Heather and the kids were not too far behind. The boys did well on their own houses and still decorate on a go with the flow mentality rather than with a plan.
Lucas and Tara worked on his house together as it is a big project for a soon to be five year old.
Brigid started out helping Heather, who is a bit obsessive about planning her house, but she eventually went off to play so Heather could finish it on her own. She said that if we looked at all of her houses over the years they would all look the same. After the party I went through my photos and printed out the pictures of her houses over the last five years to show her how different they are. And they were different which surprised her.
Mom was stuck for ideas even though I had a folder of photos of houses and the laptop up for looking up other ideas as well. It is hard to take a blank house and find inspiration. They don't spend hours for weeks before hand scouring Pinterest and the internet looking up different houses for ideas. But the houses always come together in the end and we have a good day together with frosting, candy, and fun.
Brigid found the Christmas hat box and I convinced Baylor to dress up with her for a photo. It is fun seeing how many photos I have to take to get one that both look like they are in the same photo. And sometimes, it never happens no matter how many times I hit the shutter button.
I still love the lights of the Christmas tree the best, no flash.
I managed to get photos of our friends by the tree with their houses but not of Baylor and I.
Lu and his sweet smile and lovely colorful Penguin house.
And looking at Mom while I had the flash off. Christmas glow is just lovely.
And Mom's turn with her stone house that she said was a bit of a bother being a stonemason with such tiny stones but we all loved the end result.
Mom went for a red and green color scheme which is always super Christmassy. The light from the window was pretty strong and kept washing her house, even when she stepped over a bit.
After the kids left with their mommies, Baylor was left to his own devices which usually leads to a fort being made out of every couch cushion, pillow and blanket he can get a hold of. He enjoyed his day and crashed early as did I. I love our parties and this one I am glad to keep small with just the essential people who make the day super special. You know who you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment