Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fall, how I love thee

 
I don't know what it is about Fall that is is so tied to certain foods.  I do not crave certain foods or flavors when spring comes.  But when that Autumnal Equinox hits, I was anything applely, cidery, pumpkiny spicy.  We made Apple Cider Doughnut Muffins on Thursday.   They hit the flavor spot.  Baylor took some to the sitter's and I took the rest to work. 
 
 
Baylor loves apples and right now he apparently only loves the peel.  Sometimes he will eat them whole, basically skinning the apple and feeding the rest to a mom.  
 
 
The muffins even have a glaze but I think the next time I may put cinnamon sugar on them instead.

 
Friday night I made The Best Pumpkin Bar and I must say, it is true.  The bars cook all the way through, are not too damp and spongy like some pumpkin recipes turn out.  The cream cheese frosting is wonderful too.  We were going to Heather's for lunch and that was our contribution. 

 
Saturday was Baylor's fifth and last preschool swimming lesson.  Because it was the last class we could stay in the pool area to watch and take photos up close.  It was so hot and humid in there that I sat outside in the hallway until the last ten minutes.  He was a good student as usual, smiling all the while swimming and trying to keep water out of his mouth.  
 

 
The have a platform for kids to stand on because the shallow end would be over their heads. 

 
The class was just three three year old boys. 

 
He has a nice straight leg kick but his cannot put his face under water yet.  So she suggested he take the preschool class again.  And he will.  We want him to be able to swim his way out of any water situation.

 
He is close to jumping in without holding her hands.  When he was a year and a half and had half the sense he has now, he jumped right at me whether I was looking or not.  I guess he has another year and a half of life experience to put the fear of water in him. 


 
We stopped to fill up the car and get a pink sprinkle doughnut. 

 
And we headed to
 
 
They built a new building and torn down the old one earlier this year and it was almost a new experience for us.  The circle of seasons would not be complete without a trip to the land of giant apple crates and a huge corn bin.  The corn bin was all Baylor cared about. 


 
But we did the photo at the bus.

 
Rode the barrel horse.

 
Jumped on the steer.

 
And even picked out some apples. Just two bags this year.  Some to eat, some to dry, some for dumplings, and some just because Baylor liked their color.  And bag of Honey Crisp because they are just that good. 

 
And while I put the apples in the car, Baylor sat amongst the pumpkins eating his raspberry ice cream.


 
And then back to the corn bin for some digging and tossing corn fun. 



 
 
 
We checked out the pumpkins but did not buy any because, well, we have a giant one at home Lori bought at an Amish farm, and the pumpkins here are pricey.
 
 



 
And we headed off to Heather's for a cook out. Her dad and stepmom have been up for a visit from Chili and I had not seen them yet.  Baylor and I had planned to go to a pumpkin farm but this offer came in so we went there instead.  Connor wanted to put up a tent in the house.  Heather likes to torment her dad so she brought out a small tent and asked him to have his grandpa put it up.  Luckily he is much more easy going than my dad who I am not sure would have been such a good sport by himself. 
 
 

 
The boys dove in and zippered themselves in right away.  Brigid was right behind them trying to make her way in also. 


 
Being a good Aunt I helped her in to the protestations of the boys. 

 
We had a nice lunch of all kinds of grilled meats, pasta salad, homemade mac and cheese, and other delicious items.  Brigid was enjoying her lunch when I took this photo.  Then the hamming it up for the camera began. 



 
The boys were back in the tent as soon as dessert was over.  There is not much point in eating when you are little unless dessert is served.  The kids had a great time in the tent and playing in the yard. 



 
And then there was fire. In the fire pit.  Being part of the Miller gene pool, the fire was irresistible to him. 

 
Estella has two grown sons from her first husband.  Both of them have a daughter.  Tati is in her teens and Isabella is only two weeks older than Baylor.  It was the first time I meet Isabella and she is quite a cutie. 

 
Heather's dog Murphy decided he needed some Mommy time and jumped up on her lap.  Charlie was a bit jealous but did not attempt to join him. 



 
Isabella stayed really close to her dad for most of the time but I think she just needed more time to warm up to everyone.  Brigid is not shy at all and ran right into Nicola's arms. 

 
We had a nice time with the kids playing all day. Tati stayed with the boys most of the time.  She seemed to enjoy playing with them.  Baylor, Isabella and Brigid played on the slide and play fort until it was time to roast marshmallows.  Baylor loves roasting marshmallows and I will be sure to teach him how to do it well.  As I was taught by my grandpa and my dad.  We ended up staying until 7 when Baylor decided he did not like Connor anymore and hit him in the chest.  Isn't Fall wonderful!   
 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Fall as well. My favorite season, hands down. We're probably going to the pumpkin patch this weekend so Dylan can pick out his pumpkin. I love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete