Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy

We survived our second hurricane.  Last year Lee blew up the coast and we had tons of rain but I do not remember any wind issues.  Sandy hit further north in NJ instead of the corner of PA, NJ and DE so I think we had it easier than we were expecting.  We left work early yesterday and were told to work from home on Tuesday.  The wind and rain picked up gradually until bedtime and then it was makin' down something fierce, as we say around here.  Lori checked the basement a few times to see if the drain was backing up into the basement.  Baylor woke up at 3:30 to pee and we looked out the window: it was blowing and raining like crazy!

 It was nice waking up as a family and going out to check the house and watch the news.   We were really spared the damage being done in NJ and NY.  I do not know how the people who live in hurricane and tornado areas do it.  I could not live where this happened every year!  I called Mom and they did not get any water in there basement.  They creek was out of its bank but not far enough to flood the houses there.  Unlike last year's hurricane.  They actually have an appointment this week to have the new flooring put in to replace the carpet that was ruined last year.  I am sure that will be rescheduled. Lori's parents were in the rain zone the last time we called but were doing well.
 
My babies cuddling on the couch!
 
I ran out to the garage to get something and took the camera with me.  We had 4.5 inches of rain at around 9:00 am.

 
Only one or two things were blown over or away from where they started.  But all the leaves are pretty much off the trees now. 

 
But they did not all blow away like I was hoping!  I guess I will have to mow them when they dry out.  I guess we did not use up all the praying mantis blessings but our hearts go out to those who lost their lives and families without power or are flooded out of their homes.  It could have easily been the fate of our home. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment