Sunday, April 26, 2015

Return of the Smoker and A Few Others

My niece is growing so fast and I still have not met her.  The family was in FL for the weekend for a memorial for Laura's grandma who died a few years ago.  Presley had her first dip in a pool and in the ocean. They said she loved it.  


Saturday I smoked a brisket and a pork shoulder for our lunch on Sunday.  They were on the smoker for about five hours and then in the oven for about four more.  


And I think I nailed it this time!  Even Bob was impressed when I showed him the pictures and gave him some to eat.  I think finishing off in the oven is the key for me, I can let it braise a bit and the meat does not dry out.  


My mom is a champion dish stacker and I learned well from her.  If there was an Olympic event in dish stacking, I would totally medal.  And no, I did not let the dishes pile up for a week:  I bought new picnic plates and bowls and had to wash them all. 


For later that day we had guests arriving.  The McGraws and most of the Dwyer-Allen family come over for a visit.  Baylor requested churros, his favorite snack.  He really just likes anything covered in cinnamon sugar but these are certainly a favorite.  


I did not take a lot of photos, but I did get one of Tara watercolor painting an apple blossom picture and Lucas working on his flowers in acrylics. The boys had fun working on a dinosaur dig that Tara had brought up for them.  Cullen was the most determined to release the dinosaur and in the end we sunk the clay block in a bowl of water and freed the bones.  I had wanted to make treasure stones for their visit but never made it to anywhere to pick up items to hide inside.  Now I know I need to work on that as I think they would enjoy those as well.   


No comments:

Post a Comment