I slept in to 7 AM!! That never happens in real life. Ever. Dad had the fire going and when Mom and Baylor rolled out of bed at 7:50 (which is a sleep in for both of them) I made Hobo breakfast over the fire of leftover french fries, onions, bell pepper, salami, eggs and cheese. Baylor was my assistant even though he would not eat any of it.
But he did have his first pee in the woods this morning.
Grandma joined us by the fire in her morning caftan. She is not an early riser and is slow to get moving on a normal day. But this is vacation, so who cared.
After breakfast Baylor 'washed' the plates in the fire.
I wanted to stay at camp all day and Mom and Dad wanted to go on a road trip to Katie's, our favorite everything gift and tchatchke shop we love up there. Baylor and I planned to go to a scavenger hunt being held in the park so in the meantime we played with bubbles and a large wand I had brought along. Note the shirt change.
At first he had fun with the wand but that wore off after a bit.
He did some drawings and we did a few leaf rubbings of tree and fern leaves in the area.
After a quick costume change he was in shorts, chasing bubbles with his head.
And punching them with Hulk hands.
Grandma even popped a few with her willow stick before they left for their road trip.
Around noon Baylor and I headed to the amphitheater for the scavenger hunt. We had to drive there because it was in the camping area. It was a quick off the road and it to the woods. We were early so we did some exploring.
We walked to the drained lake and threw rocks into the rock sucking mud. We saw a line of five fishing rods someone had collected I would guess while walking in the lake bed. I don't know why they didn't haul them out and throw them away. I hope someone does before they fill the lake again.
We walked back when we saw the park ranger arrive. There was another family there, two parents and their early teens kids. They were from NJ. Ranger Judy gave us a quick introduction to the rules of the hunt, stay in the local area and take a photo of things if needed, but most things did not need to be collected, just found and checked off.
We found this tree and while it is nice to look at, I know it is bug ridden and dead.
We found two kinds of ferns, which were on our list.
One of two yellow flowers.
Signs of animals: well, snails are not really animals but there were tons of shells in the mud.
One of three fungi we saw.
One sign of animals: a wood pecker hole. The other family found a salamander but we could not stir one up.
Another fungi, which chipmunks like to nibble on.
Baylor and I did a good job but we did not find the most. But everyone received a park badge for participating.
When Baylor and I went back to camp it was time to make another fire. He used the log cabin method again. It was his favorite.
We had salami sandwiches for lunch again. He was a pro with the toasting and sandwich creating. He was every much the chef, deciding whether the mustard went on top or on the bottom of the salami.
He played in the fire with his stick, making smoke to chase away the bugs.
Of course we had smore's for lunch with waffle cookies.
After lunch we took a trip to the beach. Baylor rode his bike and I walked behind him.
With the lake drained, I guess they were also rebuilding the beach as there was a huge mound of sand that attracted all the kids.
Here is the same boat dock two years ago, when there was a lake, from 2013.
We also ran into Mom and Dad at the beach. They had gone there when they got back from shopping to see the drained lake. They were talking to a man they had meet down there, he was a local, ex-military and had small dogs. I am sure they started talking to him because of the dogs. Anyway, when we were on our way back to the cabin, the rain was coming, they bought Baylor an ice cream.
Dad sat on the porch watching the rain after we ate dinner.
And later joined Baylor watching movies. It was a good day!


No comments:
Post a Comment