One of the perks of my job is the flexibility and being able to help out with school is a total bonus in my opinion. I was able to take the day off (using vacation days before losing them is also a bonus) and volunteered to help with the field trip and ride the bus with the kids! Two of my favorite sat behind me on the bus and I sat with the reading specialist and his teacher sat in front of me. I thanked the reading teacher for her work with Baylor last year and we invited his teacher and her kids to the Hallowe'en party. And pointed out our house on the way to the state park.
The parent volunteers worked at the various (six) stations and I was at the tree growth station for most of the day. I did not take any photos of my area (there were some on the PTO page but a mom complained about her kid being in a photo and she did not sign permission to have her in photos so they were taken down. I was in one of them too) but we read a book about trees to the kids and then we broke the kids into smaller groups and took them to the trees close by. We told them an inch around roughly equals a year and asked them to guess first and then we measured. It was fun and I had the kids hug the trees, how many kids around is this tree? We took turns holding the measuring tape and walking it around the tree. When we would measure them I would ask if they knew anyone that old? One tree was 97 so I said this tree was two when my great Aunt was born. And one tree was 11 when I was born. There was also a large stump that we took them to see the rings. It measured about 110 years old.
When Baylor's class went on the nature walk, I and the other mom's from the class were able to go on the walk with them. It was fun and the trail leader was amazing. Part of the walk included the kids telling something about the trail to the people walking past so the kids were told to find a buddy and get in line. Baylor and Kartikey were buddies and Landon and Ryder were buddies. We were near the end of the line too.
Caden and this student were telling how the oaks make acorns for the animals to eat. Repeat for each kid passing by.
Noah and Peyton telling how the fungus breaks down the fallen trees.
Ryder and Landon telling how the moss breaks down the rocks into dirt.
Baylor and Kartikey telling us there is a stream here after it rains.
Haileigh telling us about the mud.
Whispering about listening in the forest.
The boys telling us about the leaf litter breaking down.
Cute photo of these two, both happy to be together again.
And the four buddies!
Class photo on the rocks. I could not get tall enough to get over the orange hat of the Mrs G.
Baylor's last station was pointing out poison ivy. I nearly lost it when I heard that, like really, get my kid away for the poison ivy. Thankfully did not manage to touch it and was OK.
We had lunch after the walk and I sat with the boys at a table that was split with some other kids I know from one of the other classes. I sent pictures to parents who were not there and they appreciated them.
Marcel, Zayden and Treton.
Happy Zayden!
Marcel has two sisters, one older and one younger. Both have very blonde curly hair. They are all beautiful kids.
Landon is not much of an eater and I was sending Joey pictures and one of the teachers did as well.
Goofballs
Then they had recess and photos with me. Of course they love photos so all are happy to pose.
Molly joined the group. She was all dressed up and I did not recognize her until she took off her hat!
See, posers..
On the ride home the boys sat with me. It was a fun trip but I had a little over an hour and a half to kill before picking him up from school.
So I hit two thrift stores. One I found pink flannel sheets for a quilt I am working on and at another I found a new wig for the Halloween dress up box. Love it.
And of course I got stopped by a train on my way to pick up Baylor. Thankfully it was only eight cars as it was moving about five miles an hour!!
The evening went as usual only he fell asleep earlier in the night and on the couch right before bed time.
Playing outside all day wears a boy out!

































No comments:
Post a Comment