Friday, July 15, 2016

July 4th: Beach Vacation Day 4

While the girls had to leave sometime today, Julie had promised Cullen a surry ride on the boardwalk. Since 10 am is the cut off for riding bikes on the boarwalk we got up early, well for them they were up early, and we walked down to the bike shop to rent our surry. Our nice Parisian bike assistant took our photo, smiling before the ride.  

Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry
When I take you out in the surrey,
When I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top!


We went up and down the board walk twice with Julie driving and manning the hand break.  Cullen had his assistant steering wheel and was totally bummed that he was not the actual driver.  





We were having trouble reading the map (I can read maps, but this was so out of focus and blurry, copy of a copy of a copy for sevaral generations that I could not make out any street names) we decided we would buzz the house we were staying in to see Amy and Lochlan.  We made it one block off the boardwalk and getting ready to go after stopping at the stop sign, our chain broke!  That was the end of the power for this surry.  Julie called them and our frenchman arrived first and then another kid who offered Julie free coupons for bike rental that do not expire.  And then another, older than us, man came to check on us.  We were able to ride if for 40 minutes out of our hour and Cullen got to ride it on the boardwalk so all was not lost.   


We walked back to the house and helped them pack up for their drive home.  I had asked earlier in the week if I could keep Cullen and they agreed it would be fine (even though I had smashed Lochlan's fingers they still trusted me with their other son.  The swelling was down by now and he was using them. Whew) After we said good bye to them, I took the boys down to the boardwalk to spend all of Baylor's quarters at the arcade.  They looked so cute in their white shirts, Baylor's new favorite look.  


I hate arcades, it is so boring for me.  But I was not there for me, and someone had to keep track of all the quarters.  And they played games until the quarters were all gone. And then picked toys we could have bought at the dollar store with their tickets that we probably spent $10.00 earning.  






We walked back to the house, ate some lunch, changed into suits and headed back to the beach to try out their new bogie boards. The water was cold and it was just in the mid 70's so it was not very hot out.  It did not stop the boys.  Cullen was especially motivated to try to get the hang of surfing.  I had shown him how to catch waves on Saturday and he was excited to be trying again.  We found a spot close to the lifeguard stand and close for me to be able to watch them when I was not out there freezing my butt off with them in the water. 







The stopped in for a snack and cold beverage.  


I just tied to stay warm and make sure Baylor was not feeling left out.  Cullen is kind of used to sharing his moms, Julie runs an in home daycare and now Amy works there as well.  Baylor is not used to me spending time with other kids.  I played in the sand with him, he loves to destroy sand villages. I played in the surf with him and Cullen several times.  Cullen is a bit more brave being out in the water but the only thing I had to watch him for was drifting down the beach with the waves.  


Since I was close to the lifeguards, I could see them doing something with the flag so I watched them. One ran off down the beach and this one stayed and planted his flag out in front of his station. 


And waited.  


The lifeguards were running down the beach carrying flags.  It was nice to see and people were clapping as they passed.  They ran right past Baylor who had no idea what was going on.  


And then back to playing in the water.  


Baylor started to try to catch waves, just body surfing though.  He did not find comfort with the board.  But I could see him watching as the waves come in and trying to figure out the timing of when to jump and when to let it roll past.  




He did pretty good for a first timer.  









I went out there one more time with Cullen and shivered the entire time.  Being in the water was not helping and standing out of the water was worse.  I stayed with him for as long as I could and when he got cold as well, we packed up and left.  



After showering together again, their favorite part of the day, we headed out again to the boardwalk.  It was raining again though. 

Singing in the rain, just singing in the rain. 


The stopped at the bubble man because who does not love bubbles! 



And we ate at Grotto's   


and got to eat upstairs.


Where they had a patriotic parade. (and I left Cullen's phone on the table by mistake.) 




We walked around a bit after dinner and headed back to the house around sunset, because it gets cold on the beach when the sun is down.  We took silly photos 


Played on Snapchat. And eventually we called it a night.  








No comments:

Post a Comment